DISCLAIMER: Because some people make take this the wrong way, I dearly love my children and would NOT trade them for the world! This is a way for me to share my experiences and maybe laugh a little!
You know in Home Economics classes when they have a few days where the students carry around these mechanical babies that are programmed to cry at different times? The purpose of that was to deter teen pregnancy or at least get "real" experience having the responsibility of a baby.
Well, I now have a different plan...give them a TWO YEAR OLD!! Boy or girl, I don't really think it matters!
Here's what I know about babies. They stay in one spot when you lay them down! They cry when they're hungry, gassy, have a dirty diaper, or tired. But, you can narrow down the issues until you fix them! Yes, they may still wake up once or twice at night, but they go right back to sleep!
Here's the difference with a two year old! If they aren't sleeping, they're running...and usually AWAY from you! They whine, cry, or pout about anything and some days everything! They hit and spit! They yell, "mommy, mommy, mommy, mommy...." on and on and on! They still wake up some during the night, either from bad dreams or being sick or just because they want you to cover them back up! They sometimes are potty training, which is more gross than changing a diaper when things that should be in the potty are in the floor! I don't know about girls in this area, but boys ALWAYS find a way to get dirty, so you are constantly wiping snot, covered in dirt, covered in yesterday's ketchup. Oh, did I mention they talk! So, their new favorite word is, "NO!" They roll their eyes, yell back, and generally get an attitude! (I thought I wouldn't have to worry about that till they're teens!) They yell out in church when they don't get their way or need to "pee pee!"
Anyway, in my experience, babies are easy/easier, but TWO year olds, the real work starts! You have to learn what battles to fight, how to be consistent, how to talk in code, and generally keep up your energy!
Here's to all the mothers who have successfully survived this stage and lived to tell the tale!

I LOVE reading your blog; it brings back so many memories from when our girls were little. The main difference being, I can NOW laugh at the escapades you describe. Hang in there. (-:
ReplyDelete