Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Becoming Mother Blythe

Every year on my birthday, or my sisters' birthday, I love to hear my mother's recount of our birth stories.  In a month, I get to celebrate a year of having a wonderful blessing in my life...Langston Brees!  So, I want to share what the days and hours leading up to his arrival were like for me.

First, let me start with saying, that I loved being pregnant from around week 13 to week 33.  The first 12 weeks were spent mostly running back and forth to the bathroom and after week 33, I couldn't sleep comfortably and I had officially named my feet, "Frodo Feet."  But, overall, I felt healthy and alive and loved feeling him grow and move inside my belly.  It was a wonderful experience that I don't think I truly appreciated at the time.



Langston's due date was May 5th.  I planned on working until the end of April and starting maternity leave May 1st.  That way, I thought, I could have a week to rest and make final preparations.....

I was coaching softball from January until April, but I will start with Spring Break.  Jeremy and I decided to take a "Babymoon" on the advice of friends (and pregnancy websites).  So, during Spring Break we took a few days to go to New Orleans.  I am so glad we got the opportunity to do this!  We went to a Minor League baseball game, walked all over the French Quarter, ate at Cafe du Monde, and just tried to enjoy our time as a couple.  Anyone who has been to New Orleans knows you can do a lot of walking.  And being 35 weeks pregnant with aforementioned "Frodo Feet" sometimes it was a challenge for me, but I kept going! 

 Softball Tournament - 33 weeks and 2 days
Babymoon - 35 weeks

The next week, I went for my checkup (one of the only appointments Jeremy didn't make), and all that walking had done some work!  I was 70% effaced and 1 cm dialated!  We kind of freaked out after that.  Since it was my first, I thought, I could go into labor any day!  I was thinking of all the things I still needed to get done.  The next week, we went to the appointment, bags packed and thinking, they could tell us we're having a baby.  We left relieved, but a little disappointed that we'd have to wait a little longer. 

Over the next week, the students took the ARMT (Alabama's Standardized test), and since one of the rules says the teacher giving the test has to be walking around the room during the whole test, our guidance counselor put me as a "hall monitor" while another teacher proctored the test for my class.  My "Frodo Feet" drew the sympathy of many! :-) That week, I also held volleyball tryouts for the next season.  That had to be done before I started my maternity leave. I remember trying to show the girls how to block at the net, and when I jumped, Jeremy and all the girls yelled at me not to do that, and I remember thinking, "That was not a great idea."

I will say this, I am thankful I was so busy throughout my pregnancy.  I feel like it kept my body in decent shape and kept my mind from getting worried or anxious.  I had made it through softball, ARMT testing, volleyball tryouts, and one last baby shower at school! The nursery was decorated, baby clothes washed, and carseat secured in the car. I could finish up maternity leave lesson plans the next week and enjoy getting some rest.....what is it they say about "best laid plans"? 

Saturday, April 21st, I told Jeremy I thought I was having some real contractions, but they weren't consistent and not very strong, so I told him we would sit tight and see what happens.  Sunday, April 22nd, I texted my mom (who, of course, was waiting on pins and needles) and told her that I thought I had been having contractions, etc, and that I was going to try to hold out till my Dr appointment that Wednesday.  She, slyly, offered to come up Tuesday night and go with us to the appointment.  She was gonna "tell that Doctor" to put me on bedrest, etc.  If you know my mother, you know she had already made up her mind and there was nothing stopping her.  She arrived late Tuesday night, and we were both super excited to see if I had progressed any and mom was ready to give the Dr a piece of her mind! 

That Wednesday morning, Jeremy, mom, and I loaded up (our bags were still packed), got breakfast at McDonald's, and headed to Tuscaloosa!  We chatted about different things and even started thinking about where we could eat lunch.  I was excited to have mom with us so she could see where the hospital is and meet Dr. Ray.  We were a little late for our appointment time, per usual, but this time I noticed I was the pregnant woman everyone was staring at, wondering "is she gonna pop any minute?" 

Mandy, our nurse who always took care of us at the appointments, called us back to do the routine urine test, BP test, and check my weight.  You must understand that up until this point I had gained 31 pounds my entire pregnancy and the biggest problem we faced was that my iron was too low at one point.  You can imagine my shock then, when Mandy told me I had gained 9 pounds in a week and that my BP was high.  She, along with my mom, tried to make me feel better by telling me it was water, but I had really not wanted to gain more than 35 pounds.  Mandy took me back to the examination room and listened to Langston's heart.  It was strong!  She said she would come back in a few minutes to test my BP again.  When she took my pressure again, she said before she walked out, "Dr. Ray will probably want to admit you for monitoring."  We all took that to believe they would hook me up to a few monitors until my BP went down and then send me home. I had become very nervous by now and just hoping everything with Langston was fine. 

When Dr. Ray came in she said, "Well, we are gonna have a baby today." 

To be continued....


1 comment: