Since my mom was on Spring Break as well, Langston went to spend most of the week with her and I joined them on Thursday! Just in the two days I was around he experienced a lot of new things.
First, he touched a SNAKE (a corn snake with a certified crazy person, aka "Snake Expert") at Wild Adventures! That was not my idea...his Gamaw of all people wanted him to do it!
Secondly, he rode a 4-wheeler with his PawPaw (apparently he had done this earlier in the week too), but I was with them this time.
These are things I typically shy away from. There is a risk and danger in touching snakes and riding 4-wheelers and rides at amusement parks. There are also risks involved with water and swimming, which he will encounter more this summer. Anyone who knows me, knows that I am not the "wild, adventurous, risk-taking" type. I'm not an "outdoor-sy" girl. I was 17 before I rode a rollercoaster that went upside down. I close my eyes when they stop the Ferris wheel at the top (does it really take people that long to get off and on the gondola?). I've never broken a bone mostly because if I sense something might be dangerous I stay away from it. However, I am a parent of a boy now!
My Langston already loves to be outside. He's already curious about everything! He fights sleep because he doesn't want to miss anything. At 11 months old, he is fearless! And, to be honest, I love that about him! Because I don't want to project my fears on him, I will allow him to be a boy and experience all there is to experience!
This led me to the conclusion that when you become a parent, sometimes you live in a state of fear. Fear that your child is going to get hurt or sick or choke or get their heart broken or have a car accident or feel disappointment or be treated unfairly or be taken advantage of, etc, etc, etc, etc....
I know this seems off topic, but many of my friends and acquaintances have had children who are sick. Some have cancer, a few are fighting cystic fibrosis, one passed away from brain damage at only 20 days old.....Jeremy and I have been blessed with a healthy child who is smart and strong. However, I know there are dangers lurking as he continues to grow and develop.
The only way I can subdue that worry or fear is by understanding that God grants peace to those who are His children. That no matter what evil befalls us, we have the promise of heaven if we live faithfully.
"Therefore, having been justified by faith, we have peace with God through our Lord Jesus Christ, through whom also we have access by faith into this grace in which we stand, and rejoice in hope of the glory of God. And not only that, but we also glory in tribulations, knowing that tribulation produces perseverance; and perseverance, character; and character, hope." (Romans 5:1-4)


Oh yes ma'am, I know what you mean. Being a mommy to a boy means new adventures for you alongside him!!
ReplyDelete