Sunday, April 28, 2013

It's my party and I'll cry if I want to!

Today we got to celebrate Langston turning a year old with family and friends!!  When planning this party I found other websites that helped me out, so I thought I could share how this party came together and also some of the party itself!

First, deciding on a theme was the first decision.  I knew I wanted to go with the color red because it's his favorite, but I'm not initially a "theme" person.  So, after much debate within myself I thought "Red Wagons" would be a great tie in to the color red and appropriate for a 1 year old!

Next, I had to decide on who and how to invite.  I decided that we could handle doing friends and family, but I saved some cost by just creating an event on Facebook (I mean, we are 21st century America, right?).

We decided to have the party at home for different reasons, but mainly it was to have Langston in an environment he was used to.  It also comes in handy when you are planning on your child getting covered in icing or going down for a nap.

My friend, Amy, offered to make the "Happy Birthday" banner for the wall, the "Langston" banner for the high chair, and a poster! It all added the perfect touch to the party!

Next, I wanted to have something special for Langston to wear.  Our friend, Liz, has an Etsy shop <DesperateHousemoms> and she can make a shirt with just about anything you want on it, so we ordered a Red Wagon shirt with his name and a "1" in the wagon! Very cute and we got to use it for his one year old pictures as well!
Also, on Etsy <Little Mavens> I found cupcake toppers and favor tags that fit the Red Wagon theme perfectly! Our friend, Pam, made the cupcakes for us!  We had yellow cake with red frosting (eggless because one of our guests as an allergy....you want to take those things into consideration) and red velvet cake with white icing!  Both were so delicious!!  I highly recommend having someone make the cupcakes and cake for you.  There are so many other things to take care of when hosting at home, that you don't want the added pressure of baking (or at least I didn't).

Here was the menu I came up with that was friendly to young children and adults:
  • mini corn dogs w/ mustard and ketchup
  • fruit kabobs and fruit dip
  • pretzels
  • cheese and crackers
  • soda and fruit punch
Langston's "smash" cake was made by yet another good friend, Tiffany.  I have seen so many cute pictures of kids getting into eating the cake and covered in icing.  They look so happy to have sugar and be covered in cake!  That is not how Langston reacted!  He was so very ready for a nap by the time we got to the cake and I don't think he liked all the excitement, but I guess unhappy, crying photos make for good memories too!



I requested that people wear red to go with the theme, and most complied and it was really neat to look up from opening presents and see a sea of red!  I appreciate people doing that!  I also appreciate all the gifts that were given!  It probably means that we will have to pair down and get rid of some other things!  He got a lot of things that we can use for outside, which I am excited to use this summer!

Overall, the party was a great success!  Our child is very blessed with people who love him and our family!  Jeremy and I are blessed to be able to provide and celebrate our child in such a way!  I know the 1st birthday is more for the parents, but I hope when Langston looks back on pictures and the video, he knows how much he is loved and see people having fun!

1 comment:

  1. I hate that I missed it! Thank you so much for thinking of Benjamin and having eggless cupcakes for him. It means so much to us that we have friends who take him into consideration. :) You did a great job with the party from what I hear! <3 Love y'all!

    ReplyDelete