Thursday, April 18, 2013

Prayers for Langston....

Last night, as I was casually scrolling Facebook, one of my "Friends" (who will be blocked) posted a graphic picture of a certain type of child abuse.  That is something you just cannot "unsee".....so, when I heard Langston stir after that, I rushed in to hold him and comfort him.  Then I sat on the couch weeping beside Jeremy....

Maybe I am naive.  Maybe I am wrong for not wanting to see pictures of that nature.  I am a teacher so I know that child abuse is real and happens in all sorts of households and in all sorts of ways. I am grateful for police officers, EMTs, social workers, counselors, etc, etc, who go into these houses and see abuse and do what they are able to help. As teachers, it is our duty to report any suspicious behavior or physical evidence, and I will take that seriously.

However, last night it made me sad and then angry.  When I hold and comfort Langston, I am overwhelmed by love and realize I have so many prayers inside of me on his behalf....

I pray, that when the time comes, he realizes his need to come in contact with the blood of Christ and then faithfully serves the Lord.....

I pray that he will value hard work....

I pray that he will be healthy and lives a healthy lifestyle....

I pray that when he makes mistakes, he will learn from them, whether that is with a math problem or relationships....

I pray that when someone hurts him, he is willing to forgive....

I pray that he does not seek to hurt others....

I pray that he finds something that he loves to do and finds a way to use that to provide for himself and maybe his family....

I pray that he will be comfortable in a crowd....

I pray that he will be comfortable alone, with a good book....

I pray that he finds good friends to surround himself with, that will encourage and support him in his Christian life, and that he can support and encourage them....

I pray that he recognizes his talents and seeks to honor the Lord with them....

I pray that he respects himself and others....

I pray, that when he is ready, finds a wife that will help get him and their family to heaven and treats him with respect....

I pray, that when he is ready, he is a husband who is a spiritual leader and treats his wife with respect...

I pray that he never experiences emotional or physical abuse, but is able to sympathize with those that are....

I pray he portrays a quiet confidence...

I pray that he craves knowledge and education....

I pray that he is loyal...

I pray that he is generous with his time and money...

I pray that when faced with adversity, he stays true to his faith...

I pray that when this life ends, he hears "Well done, good and faithful servant."

2 comments:

  1. Blythe,
    As a former social worker who witnessed child abuse every single day for two years, I would like to say thank you from the depths of my soul for loving your son. You care for him not only physically, but spiritually, as well. Your love goes above and beyond the world's version. You are trying your hardest to ensure Langston will grow into a man who has eternity in his heart.

    Every time you hug Langston, provide loving discipline, feed him, provide knowledge for his curious, new mind, and teach him about God, you are doing your part to end the cycle of child abuse.

    Thank you!

    Love,
    Holly

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought of you Holly! The heart of a social worker is like none I have ever seen. I understand only a small portion how that kind of work can take it's toll on a person's spirit and body! Love you and your loving and kind spirit!

    ReplyDelete