I have to admit, I was worried that we had not done an adequate job preparing Langston for the new baby. But, I had no real idea of how to do that. We read him a Little Critters book that showed the parents bringing home a new baby girl and the big brother helping. When my tummy got big enough, he would point to it and we would say, "Baby Sister." Thankfully, he was more prepared than we expected!
Mamaw and Chief (Jeremy's parents) brought Langston to visit us in the hospital and, to a mother, the moment they met was "magical." I was holding Lakyn and he came in, waved to everyone, and then noticed me and the baby in the bed. He came over and wanted to sit with me, so he got up on the bed and just stared, in awe, of Lakyn. He would point to her, rub her back, and even gave her a kiss on the head. It was a moment I will never forget!
It's been 8 weeks since that first moment and Langston still loves "Baby" so, so much! He HATES hearing her cry. Sometimes if I can't get to her quickly, he will go over to where she is laying and put her pacifier back in or say, "No, no, baby. Shhhh." Just the other day, Jeremy was holding her and she got hungry (so she got fussy) and Langston called out, "Mommy! Mommy!" because he knows it's my job to feed her. When we go somewhere and people ask about his baby sister he will go over to the carseat and point to her. He wants to sit by us and "hold" her. When he enters a room he says, "Hey baby!" or leaves a room, "Bye baby!" If she's laying on the couch he will come over, lean in real close, and give and sweet hug or kiss. Only a few times have I had to keep him from hugging too tightly. I think it's the boy in him to just be a little rough, but it breaks his heart if he thinks he hurt her.
And what does Lakyn think about Langston? Well, from what we can tell, she adores him as well. She perks up when she hears his voice. She follows him with her eyes when he's close by. I think she already knows he is there and will protect her.
I grew up with all girls so I don't know the dynamic of brothers and sisters. From what I've seen so far, it is going to be a very special relationship. I know they will argue and fight, but I have a feeling they will be best of friends. He will protect her and she will tell him when he's not thinking straight!
I was anxious about them being so close in age, but for their relationship I think it will only make them closer. Whatever we have to deal with as parents while they are little is worth the friendship they will have.
There have been many moments of just pure, sweet love and it makes my heart smile knowing he loves her and she loves him.




No comments:
Post a Comment