As some of you may know, Jeremy and I have committed ourselves to running our first 5K in May. We started "training" last week and have accomplished little goals. I ran a little in college, but that was mainly because I knew when the boys basketball team was practicing/working out and that was when I would go.
Sometimes I think people believe that the only reason a person would run or lift weights or exercise at all is to lose weight. I'm a fan of "The Biggest Loser" but even that is focused more on losing weight, with a little eating right and lifestyle changes thrown in. So, I thought it would be good for me to write about why I'm doing this so I can go back and read it later when things get tough.
1. My husband asked me to. - I know that doesn't seem like a good reason, but if he wouldn't have asked, I would never have considered it. And, since his goals are to run this 5K, get in shape, and lose weight, I feel like this is the best way to support him. I have found that this has been a good conversation topic as well. Sometimes we exhaust the topics of work, kids, work, kids, bills, work, etc. Running has become something we can talk about that builds our personal relationship. The times we can go together are good too, but not a must. He runs with music and I like quiet time so it works.
2. Lose weight and tone. - Yes, I said it. I would like to lose a few pounds. If I'm running/walking 3-4 times a week, I think it's ok to have this as a goal. Yes, for all of you thinking it, I know I am NOT FAT!! My body fat percentage (whatever it's called) is normal, etc, etc. I am not obsessed with the number. I am 10 years and 2 kids past that! I am more concerned with how my clothes fit. Ok, now I'm done with that subject.
3. My kids need me. - I am blessed with two small children under the age of 2. Langston has so much energy and is ALL boy, so he needs (both of us) to play with him and run around and be silly. Lakyn will be that too, I'm sure. And, even if their energy level decreases, the example I am setting will carry them throughout their life. I don't expect either of my children to be super athletes (if they are, fine, if not, okay) but I do want them to know that their body is important and know how to take care of it. Anyone who knows me should not question that I value their spiritual body over the physical, but I don't want their physical body to hinder their spiritual work. I feel like I am in charge of their spiritual, mental, emotional, AND physical well-being and staying active and healthy is a way to take care of their physical well-being.
4. Finish a goal. - Sometimes I set a goal and never finish it. This 5K is a good way for me to work on that. The Bible compares our life to a spiritual race. We are racing towards a goal, heaven, and only those who finish this life in a righteous state will receive the prize. I think setting my mind on finishing this 5K will be practice for keeping my mind on the spiritual goal.
That's it. That's the list. I briefly mentioned that I liked walking/running in just silence. That has been a side benefit to all of this, getting some time just for myself. That makes me a better wife, mother, and teacher. Now, if future Blythe is reading this because it's gotten "too hard" or "there's no time", I would tell you to "suck it up" and get out there! "If it were easy, everyone would do it", etc, etc. If you can't do it for yourself, do it for Jeremy, Langston, and Lakyn!
No comments:
Post a Comment