Warning! This blog is not intended to deter any family from having children or more than one child! This is intended as a follow up to last years blog titled, "Things they DO NOT warn you about."
"High stakes WHACK A MOLE!" That is how my beloved husband, Jeremy, refers to it. We have an almost 2 year old and an 3 1/2 month old. A few friends said, "It's not as bad as it seems." Others said, "It's not that hard going from 1 child to 2." Well....they should have been more specific!
1. POOP! Multiplied by two! In last years blog I mentioned there's about 3 types of poop, well, with two kids still in diapers, there are about 6! They can all be summarized in 3 groups though, the healthy, not so healthy, and the "GAH! I NEED FOUR HANDS AND WHAT DID YOU EAT!" kind! Since there are two, there are moments that last from 15-30 minutes where you are going back and forth changing diapers. She pooped. His diaper is sagging. She wasn't finished. He wasn't finished. Give me a break kids! You can go through 5-6 diapers in 15 minutes if they are really trying to break records!
2. Memory...or lack there of! It's amazing the amount of things I have to consciously stop and think about. From where my keys are to what time I last fed Lakyn...or Langston for that matter! I read an article that said mothers' brains are actually functioning at higher levels than non-mothers because of all the things they are keeping up with. I am not sure I fit into that category.
3. Multi-tasking! Jeremy is at home with the kids during the day when I'm at work and many days he leaves to work when I get home, so there are many times that we both have hours of dealing with both children. So, instead of man-to-man, they are double-teaming us! There was one occassion where I was changing Lakyn and Langston went into his room and closed the door. No big deal. He can't open the door by himself so in a few minutes I hear him knocking. I lay Lakyn on the couch and go to open the door. It's locked. I mean, for real, locked! Of course, Lakyn starts crying. I am trying not to freak out. The door handle only has one of the holes in the middle, not a typical lock, and I don't know if there's a key. After many minutes of failed attempts at a bobby pin and credit card, I start hurling my body at the door and trying to calm Langston. Lakyn is still crying. Eventually Jeremy gets home and remembers the key above the door casing. There are so many other stories but the best one I have to date was last week. Jeremy was working. Things were going fine until Langston wanted to "pee pee." Ok, no big deal. We went to bathroom and I sat him on his seat. No pee pee. He wants to take a bath. Little girl starts crying. I run the bathwater and go put pacifier in. Come back, get Langston undressed, put him in bath and he starts to pee pee. I grab him and sit him on the potty. The frustrating dance of bath to potty goes on until I finally give up, keep him in the bath, and go check on baby girl. I realize she needs to eat, so I go back in, give Langston a wipe down and get him out. He starts running around the house. So, I give up on chasing him and go feed her. I am nursing by the way, so it's not like I can just jump up to get to him. So, trying to relax, I sit there and nurse while he's running around naked. I'm hoping he isn't peeing everywhere, but sure enough, I finish with her, go to walk into his room to get him dressed, and step in pee! Great! Even when we are both home, we do the man-to-man, but that only involves the kids. Throw in laundry and cooking, etc, etc, and you learn to do a lot with one hand!
4. Stuff! You name it, we probably have it, unless we really need it one day, then that's the thing we don't have. The stuff that comes with kids slowly takes over everything until you don't recognize your own house or purse. Just recently I have gone on a rampage to pair down and get rid of things we don't need. Watch out for an awesome yard sale coming in May!
5. Terrible two's + infant = crazy mama! At both ages (stages) the child needs so much attention but for different reasons. I will not try to describe it because it's one of those things you have to experience. Nothing can describe it.
6. Going out! We try not to with both kids. Seriously. We go to church all together. We go out to eat together, occasionally. We've really worked hard to eat at home though. But take everyone shopping? NO WAY!! I will make a 10:00 pm trip to avoid that!
I know I have listed "negatives" that no one tells you about having two children so close in age, but there are many more positives. Twice the laughs. Twice the cuddles. Twice the LOVE!! I cannot imagine life before Lakyn. I feel like she completes our family. Her personality is so sweet and calming. Langston is at the age where he is learning so much! I love hearing the new words and phrases he comes up with! Children have taught me so much about God's love. Langston and Lakyn have made me stretch and grow as a person. This phase of life is just that, a phase. And the next 3-4 years are just a drop in the bucket. And even when negative thoughts creep in and I want to believe I'm the only one who has it tough, I am reminded that I'm wrong and I have it SO GOOD! Women whose children are grown and out of the house constantly remind me that I will MISS these days! So, I will soak it ALL up!


LOVED reading this!
ReplyDeleteI'm still chuckling. :-)
ReplyDelete